Google Docs - documents
Google docs Documents is online text editor equivalent to desktop tools such as MS Office Word or OpenOffice Writter. It can be used for basic and advanced text editing although with some restrictions comparing to its desktop equivalents. Google Documents allow user to create or import a document, to edit it alone or with other users and to publish, export or save the document online.
Google Documents can import documents in MS Office Word format (including Word 2007, .docx format), OpenOffice Writter format, RTF, HTML and other formats. Other users with Google account can be easily added to collaborate in document creation. In case several users are working on the same document, any change made by any user is shown instantly in the document.
Pros & Cons
- Interface is very simmilar to previous versions of MS Office and equivalent to the newest version of OpenOffice
- Strong support for import and export formats
- Enables document sharing and real-time collaboration
- Variety of text editing features adequate for average users
- Tight integration with OpenOffice suite
- Does not support advanced features such as MailMerge, Page&Section Brakes, Tables of Contents...
- Text formats are lost when importing document with advanced formating options (i.e. table formats, comments...)
Tool accessibility test (28 July 2010)
Server Response Time test performed from Seattle, WA / Munich, Germany / Brisbane, Australia : 0.254 sec / 0.268 sec / 0.992 sec
Server Response Time Scale: Less than 0,1 = Optimal; 0,1 - 1 = Acceptable; 1 - 4 = Noticable but tolerable delay; 4 - 8 = Bearly tolerant delay
This tool has help included on the tool's webpage (link): http://docs.google.com/support/?hl=en
There is no possiblity of changing the type or size of fonts in the tool (it can be done only as a browser functionality).